Tucson Homeowner’s Complete Guide To Effective Ant Control
September 24, 2021
Tucson is split into districts and neighborhoods. Some areas connect by streetcars, and others are accessible by bike lanes, bus routes, or cars. It has a rich cultural heritage with a history that residents claim can be found nowhere else on earth. With a city full of incredibly diverse neighborhoods, ants are anxious to visit to see if Tucson homeowners have rolled out the welcome mat.
Three Common Ants Species Found In The Tucson Area
There are multiple varieties of ants in the Tucson area. Some species are dangerous; some are just nuisances, but they are never welcome in our homes.
Characteristics of three common Tucson ants are as follows:
- Pharaoh Ants: These ants are a pale yellowish to red color with a darker black abdomen. They measure around 1/16 inches long. When they access a home, they will typically nest in warm, humid areas near food and water sources.
- Crazy Ants: This species is dark brown to black with a gray sheen. They range in size from 1/16 to 1/8 inches long. They are easy to identify because worker ants run in erratic, jerky movements. They are opportunistic scavengers that seek out cracks and crevices in moist areas.
- Fire Ants: These ants are invasive species. They have an oval segmented body with a dark reddish-brown color, six legs, and antennae. Measuring about 1/8 to 3/8 inches long, they are aggressive and have been described as mean and a bully. They often build nests in parks, gardens, and lawns.
No matter what type of ant is invading your Tuscan home, you'll want to act quickly to get it out before the population has a chance to grow.
What’s The Best Way To Keep The Inside Of Your Home Unattractive To Ants?
Ants will eat almost any kind of food, but they especially like sweets. Once ants have gained access to your home, they will seek out places where they can enjoy sustenance. A chief defense against ants is keeping your home thoroughly clean.
Areas to focus your ant deterring efforts include:
- Wipeout cupboards.
- Pull out and clean under heavy appliances.
- Clean under furniture.
- Clean up messes and spills immediately.
- Sweep and vacuum in areas where the family snacks or eats.
- Wash dishes right away.
- Store things generally left on counters (cookies and bread) in containers or ziplock bags.
- Store sugar, baking flour, and cereal within airtight containers with tight lids.
- Put away leftovers promptly in sealed containers.
- Wipe down tables, countertops, and food prep surfaces.
No matter how small, stray crumbs in your home will attract ants; once they are in, they can be impossible to get out.
How To Prevent Ants From Entering Your Tucson Home
There are also entry points outside your home that can provide a highway to destinations inside. You can put some preventative measures in place to deter ants from finding their way inside.
These prevention tips include:
- Trim tree branches.
- Keep bushes, shrubs, other plants back from the property.
- Seal cracks and small openings in the foundation and exterior walls.
- Make sure screens around the home are properly installed and in good repair.
- Install or repair door sweeps.
- Eliminate sources of moisture or standing water.
- Keep yard debris well away from your home.
It may seem like a lot of work to safeguard your home, but all of these steps are easier done than dealing with an active ant infestation in your home.
What Everyone Ought To Know About Pest Friends
Ants can cause some serious problems by damaging property and contaminating food. Since they live and work in large colonies, an infestation can quickly get out of control. The best form of ant control comes with professional assistance. Pest Friends is an effective and eco-friendly pest control company. Contact us today to schedule your free inspection. We also offer quality commercial pest management services.